Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Remember How Things Used to Be

Yesterday, I finished reading "Charlotte's Web" to my kids. They loved Templeton, the rat, and were sad when Charlotte died. Today I took them to see the movie, "Charlotte's Web" at the theater (part of free movie Tuesdays). The boy next door joined us. The kids loved it. They cheered when Templeton appeared and cried at the end.

There was one scene in the beginning when Wilbur is born and all the piglets are trying to suck the mother's milk. Wilbur is the runt and he can't get any milk. I didn't think much about this until later when I buckling my kids into the car. My 6 year old points at my chest and says, "Mom, remember when you used to have those thing on your chest and we could drink milk from there?" I had no idea where this question was leading to but I was afraid, very afraid. I simply nodded. My son, "we're much too big for that now, right?" I agreed. (And just so you know, I was not one of those moms who breastfed until the kids were 3 or 4 year old. I stopped before they were even a year old, so I have no idea why he remembers!)

I know my chest has shrunk some since I had kids, but I still have something left. What does he mean, "used to have"????? **sighs**

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Ahhhhh the innocence of babes! Tee hee hee hee hee! I'm just surprised that he remembers. I wonder what else he remembers.

Elizabeth said...

I read Charlotte to my kids last summer. I had a tough time reading the part where Charlotte dies...now when I see the movie and hear the voice over, I get all welled up again!
Pax, E