Thursday, October 22, 2009

Nelson Who?

As many of my faithful readers know, I'm taking a Japanese class at the local community college. Yesterday my sensei taught how to make a negative sentence. For example, "I am not a teacher."

Sense decided to play a game where she taped a card with the name of a famous person on the back of each student. Then us, students, were supposed to go around and ask questions. The questions were limited to:

Am I woman?

Am I man?

Am I singer?

Am I an athlete?

Am I a politician?

Am I a movie star?

Sensei had posted lists of famous people in each category. So once you figured out the right gender and category you could go to the list and start guessing names. I thought it was a neat idea. Turns out that underneath this blogging mom, there is an inner golf star trying to get out. I was Tiger Woods. You can see the resemblance, no?

At the end of the game, one person still hadn't figured out who the person taped to her back was. She was at list of singers. But her person wasn't a singer. It was Nelson Mandela. Can you believe someone in the class told her Nelson Mandela was a singer?! I turned to the student sitting next to me and said that, "Can you believe someone thought Nelson..." Before I could finish he said, "Wait, wasn't Nelson Mandela an athlete?"



When I got home and started to tell this story to my husband his reaction was, "Who is Nelson Mandela?"

Really?

18 comments:

Lynn said...

I remember when Nelson Mandela was released from prison in South Africa after so many years - I was having brunch with a friend who didn't know who he was either.

Do you think it is a lack of newspaper reading or lack of watching TV news?

TALON said...

I find that incredible! Truly! I'm not a person who watches news or even reads much news, either. Is it an age thing maybe?

That was a neat way to learn. Sounds like you're having a great time.

Gin said...

Seriously? Really? Ha, ha!!!!

betty said...

that's kind of a cute game to play no matter if you are learning a new language or not.

I really think history is just not being taught really well these days or people are so wrapped up in technology, they aren't taking the time to learn or read up on things; I'm sure my 20 y/o son would be clueless on who Nelson Mandela is

betty

hokgardner said...

That's just sad. I think I'll talk to my girls when they get home and see if they know who he is.

Michelle said...

Really? Wow. That's depressing. Maybe they can incorporate some history lessons into your Japanese class :)

imac said...

Hello Cookie, tis easy if you know and hard if you dont know, I know I've played it lol.
Great post.

Anonymous said...

Seriously?!

girlytwins said...

Wow. Well ya know. Thanks for the laugh.

And I am sorry to tel you my last post picture was taken this past weekend. We headed out to our house on the Colorado river (3 hours away) and it was 95 degrees. It was heaven. I am holding on to Summer for as long as I can.

MaBunny said...

omg

George said...

I've enjoyed reading through some of your posts. You have a wonderful style and I got a smile with each post. I will be back.
Thanks for visiting my site.

Joyce-Anne said...

Sounds like an interesting class.

Maude Lynn said...

You've got to be kidding!

Momisodes said...

Yikes! Just when you thought it couldn't get worse.

Snaggle Tooth said...

I remember Dicussing his long-term imprisonment by the white, South-African govt in high school n in college classes. well before he was released. I did FT college as a single Mom between '87 n '92.
Some folks live sheltered Social Science lives...

Funny in My Mind said...

I gave you an award!

Heidi said...

How do people not know who Nelson Mandela is??

Good for you on learning Japanese...I'm impressed!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that's just sad.