Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Going First

Through out the school year my son in first grade has had issues leaving the classroom and getting on the bus after school. I know this may sound simple enough, but think back to first grade for a moment. Everyone wants to be first. Some kids need to be first. My son is one of those kids.

My 7 year rushes to the front of the line as soon as the teacher calls them to line up. And, unfortunately, he'll push anyone who gets in his way. This is not good. And then if someone also wants to be first they'll push each other at the front of the line until the teacher calls them both to the back of the line. This is not a good way to make friends.

My son's best friend is also our next door neighbor. So they ride the same bus home after school. They want to sit together every day. But each kid also wants to sit next to the window every day. So they fight and push over who will get on the bus first every day.

I've pleaded with my son not to fight while getting on the bus. I've pointed out that being first in the bus line really isn't a big deal. It's a 5 minute ride. I've explained the consequences that he could lose his very best friend (and things wouldn't be so great between neighbors). Nothing has worked. The rush to be first in the bus line has continued.

Last week my son's teacher told me that my son had a breakthrough. He stepped aside in the bus line and let his best friend go first. And then you know what happened??? His best friend didn't like it. His best friend didn't want to be outdone. His best friend stepped aside and said, "No, You go first."

My son's reply was, "No, you go first."

And this went on until they got on the bus.

There is no winning.

5 comments:

betty said...

LOL; I can definitely see this being a one upmanship. Maybe they need to draw straws to see who sits by the window, but then I can imagine there would be issues with discrepancy in straw lengths etc.

somehow I see you counting down the days/hours until the school year is over

betty

Elizabeth said...

LOL. Gotta love the way children's minds work...or don't. :)

Michelle said...

Yeah... we deal with similar things here, although our bus has assigned seats (gotta love preschool!). EVERYone wants to be first -- not just a couple. I think they finally got that sorted out by assigning a different line leader for the day each day.

Maude Lynn said...

I'm cracking up just picturing an endless round of "after you. No, after you!"

Momisodes said...

LOL. It's always a battle somehow. My daughter has a similar mentality of being first. Drives me bonkers.