Thursday, November 12, 2009

It's Official

I'm the meanest mom ever. At least according to my 5 year old son. That's what he told me this morning. Actually, I think his exact words were, "You're the meanest mom I ever had."

What did I do that was so awful? Like all mean moms, I made my son stand next to me at the bus stop, of course. Now, I don't normally force my kids to stand next to me at the bus stop. This morning my 5 year old wasn't behaving at the bus stop. He pushed another kid. I called his name and he ignored me. So I pulled him aside and he still ignored me. And that earned him some time standing next to me at the bus stop.

He did not like standing next to me. He screamed. He cried. He stomped his feet. He punched me. It brought back fond nightmares memories of when he was two years old. After what seemed like an eternity my 5 year old said, "You're the meanest mom I ever had!" I couldn't help but smile and think to myself, "I'm the only mom you ever had." But it didn't seem like a good time to point that out.

I started thinking that it would be kind of nice if he had a different mother right now so I wouldn't have to deal with this. I wondered if I could sell him to the black market in some far away country where they use child labor. How much do you get for a 5 year old anyway? He's healthy, has some muscle... I wondered if I would get enough for a vacation to... My daydream was interrupted and I was brought back to reality with a loud cry, "I want to leave NOW!" screamed at the top of my 5 year old's lungs. I'm pretty sure he woke up any neighbors who were trying to sleep in this morning.

Eventually he did calm down. He got on the bus and I waved good-bye. Then I went for my usual walk up the hill. Today I didn't stop when I got to the top of the hill. I kept on walking. I walked farther than I ever had. Then I ran back home. I feel better. But I'm still dreading 3:00 when school gets out.

13 comments:

Funny in My Mind said...

I have the same problems with my 19 year old when he wants me to give him more money or his car back (he is at college and I took it away)
I hate to say it but you did the right thing and you have to stick to your guns no matter how much the embarrass you because if you don't, they will be a serial killer or something. At least that is what my mom said.

Joyce-Anne said...

I would have done the same thing. Good for you! Children will test their parents and it's our job to let them know who is boss.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Well Cookie, You've heard of TOUGH LOVE.... Use it. Kids need boundaries and rules and guidelines. You and hubby need to be on the same page when it comes to discipline. Take some classes if you need to. BUT--get tough with the boys. If you don't, behavior like that will just get worse. And you don't want that.

Glad my sons are grown. We were TOUGH on them--and they thanked us when they got older. We had rules and regulations --and they never acted out... They knew better--since punishment was rough.

Good Luck.
Hugs,
Betsy

TALON said...

Kudos for following through and, somehow, maintaining your sense of humor!

I think it's a badge of honor and should be celebrated. "The Mean Mom Society" - has a good ring to it! ;)

MaBunny said...

Ahhh yes, the temper tantrums get worse with their age. I haven't been told yet that I'm the worst, and I haven't been told that she hates me, but I'm sure its coming, as she just turned 11, just two years away from the dreaded TEEN years...
Hope your afternoon was better:)

Anonymous said...

Ouch. How is it that words said so flipantly by such a small person can hurt so much?! I am starting to think that my son is actually a teenage girl trapped in a 4-year-olds body . . . the mood swings and the tantrums are woven so tightly together with the affection and kisses. None of this was in any of the pregnancy/parenting books!

Momisodes said...

Ugh. I'm sorry. I hate moments like that. Like you, I have visited the idea of selling mine to the black market as well. Or trading her in for a gerbil :)

Maude Lynn said...

In a few minutes, I have to go wash my daughter's hair. That should enable me to dethrone you as the meanest mom ever.

If you get a line on that child labor thing, let me know!

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

Good for you. Had you given in, then the lesson learned would have been the opposite of what you wanted. As for pointing out that you are the only mother he has, I would have said it. Sometimes it gets the kids to think. (As in, "you cannot dump your brother into the ocean and let him float away; he's the only brother you have.") When the family got larger, the only part was a little spurious: "you have only four brothers!" But they understood the message and started thinking -- and acting -- a little differently. It is amazing how quickly you go from being an incompetent, mean mother to a all-knowing goddess when your kids have kids of their own! (You just have to wait about 20 years...)

p-huong said...

My friend wants to start a baby renting business. I'll see if I can persuade her to take 5 year olds too.

Heidi said...

I preempt the 'meanest mom ever' by telling them I'm the meanest mom ever. I figure they might as well get used to it.

Black market...ha! That made me smile.

Snaggle Tooth said...

Did you point out He was mean to other child, n that's why he caused you to be mean?
n if he did what he should, you could be nice all the time!

girlytwins said...

I am so not ready for those moments. It is pretty funny that he said 'I ever had'. I think I might have laughed. The worst I have heard so far is that she will not be my friend or marry me LOL.