Monday, April 12, 2010

Ducklings

Last week was spring break. My oldest turned 8 on Saturday. 8?! How did that happen?? I feel old.

My 8 year old needed new sneakers. He had already outgrown the ones I bought him 2 weeks ago. So I took my 2 kids to the mall to buy shoes. Well first, I begged him to pick a pair from payless. I found a cute pair of cheap sandals for myself at payless but my son found nothing.

I don't take my kids to the mall very often. In fact, I try to avoid it. I can't even remember the last time I took them there. It was weird.

My kids are now obviously too big for a stroller. They have been out of the stroller for several years. And they are no longer running away from me in the mall. I don't have to chase after them like a crazy mom of two toddlers running in two different directions. All of a sudden I was at the mall with my kids and they were following me. I was the mother duck and my ducklings were following me. I had to turn around every minute to make sure they were still there.

I had heard of this in fairy tales, but I never believed it was real.

Things have changed.

I now have ducklings.

Quack.

9 comments:

Lynn said...

You instantly summoned up an image of you and your boys, Cookie. A lovely time, walking with your ducklings.

Elizabeth said...

LOL. Quack.
It is fun, isn't it, when they actually LISTEN and FOLLOW!

LuAnne Lizotte said...

very cute, glad you're back, mama duck!

TALON said...

Wait until they're heading for 30, Cookie - then you'll REALLY feel old!

I love the duckling image!

girlytwins said...

Hahahahaha. I so cannot wait for the duckling stage. I also rarely take my kids to mall and if I do I go with no plans to get anything done LOL.

Anonymous said...

Cooper is just about to the age where he is becoming a duckling, which is simulaneously awesome and unnerving - the latter because several times now I have turned around and almost stepped on him because I didn't expect him to actually be standing right by my side, just like I asked!

Funny in My Mind said...

Aww!
Soon they will be teen ducks and will run away again so as not to be seen with you. Unless you are buying.
Enjoy this sweet time.

Joyce-Anne said...

I never thought of it that way. I guess most mothers are the mama duck with their little ducklings following behind. Quack right back at ya. :)

Fire Hunt said...

That is a cool way to look at it thank you.